Joining the DGC
Thank you for your interest in joining the Directors Guild of Canada.
In Ontario the level of membership depends on experience. Your application will be evaluated to assess your level of relevant experience gained in 150 days, worked over a minimum of 3 productions, in a position equivalent to a category represented by the DGC in the District you are applying to.
In Ontario there are 2 different types of Membership:
Associate Membership - all positions that are considered entry level to the specific category.
Full Membership - everything above a Production Assistant, Trainee or Fourth Assistant Director.
Alternately, people who do not have the qualifications for Associate or Full Membership can apply to the Guild Apprentice Program (GAP) and work towards membership through a one year GAP. For more information about this program please visit the GAP page on the website.
TO APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP:
1. Download the National Application Form here.
2. Determine if your industry experience is a category represented by DGC Ontario by reviewing what positions are covered in the District here.
3. Review Appendix A for mandatory courses and certificates required for Ontario membership.
4. Membership includes becoming part of a group retirement savings plan. Complete and drop off or mail in the signed, original version of the RSP forms required with your application:
a) Individual RRSP form. This form must have the original pen and paper signature and must either be mailed or dropped off to your local DGC office.
b) NRSP Corporation form. If you are incorporated and wish to have your payroll routed to your corporation you need to fill this out as well as the RRSP form above. This must also have the original pen and paper signature and must either be mailed or dropped off to your local DGC office.
5. DGC Health & Welfare Trust Beneficiary Form for Life Insurance - you will need to complete and return the form to use (either mailed or dropped-off to our office - cannot be scanned/e-mailed). This form must have the original pen and paper signature.
*For More information on the Canadian Entertainment Industry Retirement Plan (CEIRP) please check out the following links:
How to Enroll
Frequently Asked Questions
For further details you can visit to the CEIRP website
6. The membership fee and annual dues required with your application:
- The fee to join as an Associate member (entry level/trainee/PA/4AD) s $1000, split into $500 upfront + annual dues ($450) prorated quarterly.
- You would pay the remaining $500 when you upgrade from an Associate Member to Full member status (see below for full member positions)
- The total due with your application is $612.50 (500 fee+112.5 dues).
OR For Full Membership
- The fee to join as a Full member (APM, APE, 2SE, 3AD, ALM, 3AA, 2AR or above) is $1500 + pro-rated quarterly dues ($750)
- The total due with your application is $1687.50 (1500 fee + 187.50 dues).
7. Once your application is approved, your payment options are:
- Online through your personal online banking system and choose the Directors Guild of Canada as a payee. It will ask you for a membership number for which the default is "999"
- In person of by mail with a cheque issued to "Directors Guild of Canada"
- Or by phoning in and giving your credit card information to Membership
NOTE* Applications must be submitted with all the additional paperwork including: sponsors, verification on days worked, training and certificates, orginal RRSP forms and method of payment. Once approved payment will be processed. Incomplete application will not be processed and returned to application. If you have any questions about the application including fees required with membership or if you believe that you have special circumstances that would affect your application, contact Member Services at 416-925-8200 or email@example.com
FOR REJOINING MEMBERS:
You will need to fill out the application form above, including the RRSP forms. If you have not been a Member for more than one calendar year, the training and certificates outlined in Appendix A will also be required. Please contact the DGC-Ontario office 416-925-8200 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you require more information.
*If you would like more information on joining the Directors Guild of Canada in another district other than Ontario please contact:
National Membership Department:
Toll-Free French Language: 1-855-904-1880