How to Join as a Director
Eligibility for joining the DGC as a Director in Ontario:
- You must have accumulated a minimum of 75 minutes of directorial work exhibited commercially* or programmed in recognized film festivals** OR,
- You have a signed director’s contract from a DGC signatory production AND,
- You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
*Commercially exhibited work includes those works that have been broadcast on television and on the internet, that have been produced by recognized commercial producers or through theatrical release.
**Click here for a list of recognized film festivals.
There is a one-time initiation fee of $2,500 and annual dues of $750. Annual dues can be paid all at once or quarterly ($187.50). At the time of joining, you must pay the full initiation fee plus one quarter annual dues. The remaining balance will be subject to the deadlines of the quarterly dues payment schedule.
New Member Fee: $2,500
Annual Dues: $750 (can be paid $187.50 a quarter)
Payment when joining: $2,500 + $187.50 = $2,687.50
- DGC Director Application Form
- Individual RRSP form. Membership includes becoming part of a group retirement savings plan. This form must have the original pen and paper signature and must either be mailed or dropped off to your local DGC office.
- NRSP Corporation form. If you are incorporated and wish to have your payroll routed to your corporation you need to fill this out as well as the RRSP form above. This must also have the original pen and paper signature and must either be mailed or dropped off to your local DGC office.
- DGC Health & Welfare Trust Beneficiary Form for Life Insurance – you will need to complete and return the form to us (either mailed or dropped-off to our office – cannot be scanned/e-mailed). This form must have the original pen and paper signature
*For More information on the Canadian Entertainment Industry Retirement Plan (CEIRP) please check out the following links:
How to Enroll
Frequently Asked Questions
For further details you can visit to the CEIRP website
Please send the completed forms to your local DGC District Council office.
Once your application is approved, your payment options are:
- Online through your personal online banking system and choose the Directors Guild of Canada as a payee. It will ask you for a membership # for which the default is “999”
- In person or by mail with a cheque issued to “Directors Guild of Canada”
- Calling your local DGC office to process a payment on your VISA or Mastercard
Once you are accepted into membership, you will receive a membership package that will include: Membership number, RRSPs contact information, Health and Welfare benefits enrolment package. You will also receive a welcome email connecting you to the director representatives nationally and in your region.
For more information about joining the DGC as a Director please contact:
National Directors Division