Winners & Nominees 2013
WINNERS & NOMINEES 2013
THE DIRECTORS GUILD OF CANADA HONOURS THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS AT THE 12th ANNUAL DGC AWARDS
TORONTO – OCTOBER 26, 2013 – The Directors Guild of Canada handed out 19 awards honouring the best work created by Members this past year. Three special career acknowledgments were also handed out during the evening.
Comedian Seán Cullen hosted the Gala which was held at the historic Fairmont Royal York Hotel. The evening saw star of television, film and Broadway, Eric McCormack perform a hilarious tribute to directors. Below is a full list of the awards presented at the 2013 DGC Awards Gala:
DGC LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Presented by Silver Sponsor, Shaftesbury
- John N. Smith
DON HALDANE DISTINGUISHED SERVICE AWARD
- Lee Gordon
DGC HONOURARY LIFE MEMBER AWARD
- Peter O’Brian
BEST DIRECTION – FEATURE FILM
Presented by Gold Sponsor, Deluxe
- Michael McGowan - Still Mine
BEST DIRECTION – TELEVISION MOVIE/MINI-SERIES
Presented by Gold Sponsor, Panavision
- Anne Wheeler – The Horses of McBride
BEST DIRECTION – TELEVISION SERIES
Presented by Gold Sponsor, William F. White International
- David Wellington - Saving Hope; The Pilot
BEST FEATURE FILM
Presented by Platinum Sponsor, Technicolor
- Midnight’s Children – Deepa Mehta, Director; Reid Dunlop, 1st Assistant Director; Andrea Greaney, Production Accountant.
BEST TELEVISION MOVIE/MINI-SERIES
- Jack – Jeff Woolnough, Director; Simon Board, 1st Assistant Director; Richard Duffy, 2nd Assistant Director; Reed Makayev, 3rd Assistant Director; Mike Lee, Editor; Chris Freeman, Assistant Editor; Bill Oliver, Assistant Editor; Allan Fung, Sound Supervisor; Rob Ainsley , Dialogue Editor; Clive Turner, SFX Editor; Josh Machado, SFX Editor; Lesley Oswald, Production Manager; G. Thomas Arnold, Assistant Location Manager; Tamara Mauthe, Production Coordinator; Kimberly T. Mikoloff, Pre-Production Coordinator; Aaron Graham, Assistant Production Coordinator; Janelle Dufton, Key Production Assistant; Tamara Harland, Office Production Assistant; Cathie Edgar, Location Manager; Neal Rasheed Baksh, Assistant Location Manager; Victor Dobchuk, Location Scout; Milton Bruchanski, Location Scout; Paul Courchaine, Production Accountant, Crystal Mikoloff, 1st Assistant Accountant; Richard Duffy, 2nd Assistant Accountant; Ian MacPherson, 1st Assistant Accountant Payroll.
BEST TELEVISION SERIES – DRAMA
Presented by Gold Sponsor, PS Production Services Ltd. and SIM Digital
- The Borgias; The Choice – Kari Skogland, Director; Lisa Grootenboer, Picture Editor; Dan Briceno , 1st Assistant Picture Editor; Anna Sofrygina, 2nd Assistant Picture Editor; Ana Yavari, 2nd Assistant Picture Editor; Jane Tattersall, Sound Effects Editor; Dale Sheldrake, ADR and Dialogue Editor; David McCallum, Dialogue Editor; Martin Gwynn Jones, Assistant Sound Editor; Andrew Jablonski, Assistant ADR Editor; Linda Gillespie, Production Accountant; Camille Mansfield, 1st Assistant Accountant.
BEST TELEVISION SERIES – FAMILY
- Heartland; Running Against the Wind – Stefan Scaini, Director; Pierre Tremblay, 1st Assistant Director; Brad Moerke, 2nd Assistant Director; Tony LaHaye, 3rd Assistant Director; Brandon DeWyn, Trainee Assistant Director; Ken Filewych, Picture Editor; Neshe Delici, Assistant Picture Editor; Kevin Howard, Supervising Sound Effects Editor; Robert Hededus, Dialogue Editor; Kevin Banks, Music Editor; Richard Calistan, Sound Editor; Jason MacNeill, 1st Assistant Sound Editor; Lorenz Augustin, Production Manager; Hudson Cooley, Production Coordinator; Joe D'Addetta, Assistant Production Coordinator; Matt Watterworth, Trainee Production Coordinator; Brian Dunne, Location Manager; Ryan Monaghan, Assistant Location Manager; Jim Gilfillan, Location Production Assistant; Katherine Kidd, Trainee Location Manager.
BEST TELEVISION SERIES – COMEDY
Presented by Silver Sponsor, Meridian Artists
- Call Me Fitz; Thirty Percent Less Pulp Fiction –Scott Smith, Director; Megan Banning, 1st Assistant Director; Aline Robichaud, 2nd Assistant Director; Keith White, 3rd Assistant Director; Susan Diamond, 4th Assistant Director; Thorben Bieger, Picture Editor; Sarah Byrne, 1st Assistant Picture Editor; Fred Brennan, Sound Supervisor; Paul Shikata, SFX Editor; Susan Fawcett, 1st Assistant Sound Editor; Jason Clarke, Art Director; Bill Fleming, Production Designer; Ulo Greer, 1st Assistant Art Director; Lisa Tondino, 2nd Assistant Art Director; Margaret Harrison, Production Manager; Cathy Grant, Production Coordinator; Nick Trim, Assistant Production Coordinator; Shauna Hatt, Production Assistant; Colin MacDonald, Production Assistant; Neil Shaw, Set Production Assistant; Shaun Clarke, Location Manager; Cory Pioveson, Assistant Locations Manager; Christine MacDonald, Payroll Accountant.
ALLAN KING AWARD FOR EXCELLENCE IN DOCUMENTARY
Presented by Silver Sponsor, Rogers Group of Funds
- Stories We Tell - Sarah Polley, Director; Mike Munn, Picture Editor; Dave Forsyth, 1st Assistant Director
BEST SHORT FILM
- The Sound of Willie Nelson’s Guitar - Christopher Cinnamon, Director/Producer; Cameron Chapman, Writer; Matt Babinec, 1st Assistant Director.
EST PRODUCTION DESIGN – FEATURE FILM
Presented by Silver Sponsor,Pinewood Toronto Studios
- Emmanuel Frechette – Rebelle
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN – TELEVISION MOVIE/MINI-SERIES
- Tim Bider – An Amish Murder.
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN – TELEVISION SERIES
- John Blackie – Hell on Wheels; Blood Moon.
BEST PICTURE EDITING – FEATURE FILM
- Michele Conroy – Mama
BEST PICTURE EDITING – TELEVISION MOVIE/MINI-SERIES
- Ron Wisman Sr. – An Officer and a Murderer
BEST PICTURE EDITING – TELEVISION SERIES
- David Wharnsby – Saving Hope; The Pilot
BEST SOUND EDITING – FEATURE FILM
- Mama – Allan Fung
BEST SOUND EDITING – TELEVISION MOVIE/MINI-SERIES
- Titanic – 4 – Kevin Banks, Jean Bot, David Caporale, Sue Conley, Tony Currie, Krystin Hunter, David McCallum, Jane Tattersall and Rob Warchol
BEST SOUND EDITING – TELEVISION SERIES
- The Borgias – The Siege of Forli – Martin Gwynn-Jones, Andrew Jablonski, David McCallum, Dale Sheldrake and Jane Tattersall