Become a Member of the DGC
If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, you may apply to join the DGC Manitoba District Council in any job classification that we represent. Once you become a DGC Member, you are entitled to work under DGC jurisdiction anywhere in Canada. Please be aware the other district councils may represent different job classifications. For more information on job descriptions click here. You can check what categories are represented in your District Council here: Membership Classes and Categories by District Council.
IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR AN ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP IN THE DGC - MDC, AN INDIVIDUAL MUST:
- Have completed 90 days as a Permittee on MDC Signatory Productions
- Have completed the required training courses outlined on the MDC Training Page
Submitting your DGC Membership Application:
Steps to take:
1. Please review all Membership requirements with the DGC.
2. Please review the Job Category Representation in the Manitoba District Council to verify that the job category you are applying for is covered by the DGC in Manitoba. If you are unsure, please call the local Manitoba District Council office for confirmation.
3. Please review the DGC Membership Application page and the Membership Requirements listed below to ensure that you meet the minimum requirements. For the Manitoba District Council, please note that each Job Category represented by the DGC holds specific work experience requirements to be eligible for Membership.
4. Please download the DGC Membership Application form and complete the document in its entirety.
5. Please download the Retirement Savings Plan Enrollment Form. If you are applying to become a member under a loan-out corporation, please contact the Manitoba District Council offices at 204.940.4301 for further information.
Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) rulings dictate that the ORIGINAL form must be returned and filed for your RRSP account to be opened. No scans or photocopies are permitted.
6. Please review the Application Checklist enclosed in the DGC Membership Application to ensure that you have filled out the application correctly and have enclosed all the required information.
7. Contact the Manitoba District Council offices to ensure you have the required Film Training Manitoba course certifications and there are no additional requirements to be considered in your region.
8. Send your application and related material to:
Manitoba District Council
400-245 McDermot Avenue
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Tel: (204) 940-4301
Fax: (204) 942-2610
There is a process that Membership Applications go through before an applicant is officially considered a Member of the Directors Guild of Canada. First, your application will be reviewed at the District Council level to ensure that it is complete, the appropriate requirements are satisfied and qualifications are met. If the District Council formally endorses the application, then the application is sent to the National Office for processing. Your membership application must be complete when you submit it to your District Council. An incomplete application will be returned to you to be satisfactorily completed.
Following the District Council review, your application will be forwarded to the National Office where, if everything is complete and satisfies the criteria you will be given a Membership ID number and formally recognized by the Membership and Training Committee.
Please note that some of the benefits of DGC Membership (e.g. health plan) will not start until you officially become a Member of the DGC.
Please contact your DGC District Council if you have any questions about the application procedures, or if you believe that you have special circumstances that would affect your application. If you are a Canadian citizen not ordinarily residing in Canada, and would like more information on joining the Directors Guild of Canada, please contact:
National Membership Department
Toll-Free French Language: 1-855-904-1880
There are two sets of Membership Dues: New Membership Dues, which are payable upon successful application to the DGC, and Annual Membership Dues. Please contact your DGC District Council to verify the Membership Dues structure.
Once you have gained work experience in a different category, you may initiate an upgrade. Upgrades are reviewed in the same manner as applications. You are not restricted to work only within your job category. If you work in a higher category, and have exceeded the requirements to upgrade to that category the District Council may initiate an upgrade for you. Work credits are appraised by other Members.
Membership staff may assist in determining your eligibility. To qualify for an upgrade, a candidate must have worked the required number of days in the specified category on DGC signed or sanctioned productions. A body of work must include 3 separate productions. Applications for upgrade must be obtained through your relevant District Council. All DGC signatory productions, CBC productions, NFB productions, foreign credits, and non-signatory productions granted dispensation by the Guild, including 20 days in Commercials or 20 days in Music Videos, will be credited towards an upgrade.