Joining The DGC
Thank you for your interest in joining the Directors Guild of Canada - Alberta District Council.
In Alberta the level of membership depends on experience. In most cases your application will be evaluated to assess your level of relevant experience gained in 150 days, worked over a minimum of 3 productions, in a position equivalent to a category represented by the DGC in the District you are applying to.
In Alberta there are 2 different types of Membership:
Associate Membership - Production Assistant or Trainee in all departments.
Full Membership - everything above a Production Assistant or Trainee.
Alternately, people who do not have the qualifications for Associate or Full Membership can Register in the Permittee Program and work towards "Associate Membership" with experience gained in 90 days, 3 signatory productions. For more information about this program please visit the Entry Level - Permittee page on the website.
TO APPLY FOR MEMBERSHIP:
1. Download the National Application Form here.
2. Determine if your industry experience is a category represented by DGC Alberta by reviewing what positions are covered in the District here.
3. Review Training Requirements for mandatory courses and certificates required for Alberta membership.
4. Membership includes becoming part of a Group Retirement Savings Plan and Health & Welfare Plan. Complete and drop off or mail in the signed, original version of the forms required with your application:
- Individual RRSP form. This form must have the original pen and paper signature and must either be mailed or dropped off to your local DGC office.
- NRSP Corporation form. If you are incorporated and wish to have your payroll routed to your corporation you need to fill this out as well as the RRSP form above. This must also have the original pen and paper signature and must either be mailed or dropped off to your local DGC office.
- Beneficiary form. This form must have the original pen and paper signature and must either be mailed or dropped off to your local DGC office.
5. The membership fee and annual dues required with your application:
- The fee to join as an Associate member (Production Assistant/Trainee) $150 + annual dues ($450) prorated quarterly.
- If applying at the beginning of the quarter, the total due with your application is $262.50 (150 fee+112.5 dues - Please check with your District Council to verify amount).
OR For Full Membership
- The fee to join as a Full member is $500 + pro-rated quarterly dues ($750)
- If applying at the beginning of the quarter, the total due with your application is $687.50 (500 fee + 187.50 dues - Please check with your District Council to verify amount).
6. Once your application is approved by the District Council, your payment options are:
- Online through your personal online banking system and choose the Directors Guild of Canada as a payee. It will ask you for a membership number for which the default is "9999"
- In person or by mail with a cheque issued to "Directors Guild of Canada"
- Via Credit Card Click Here and use “9999” as your membership #, or call the National DGC office 1-888-972-0098 (Toll-Free).
NOTE* Applications must be submitted with all the additional paperwork including: sponsors, verification on days worked, training and certificates, orginal RRSP forms and method of payment. Once approved payment will be processed. Incomplete application will not be processed and returned to applicant. If you have any questions about the application including fees required with membership or if you believe that you have special circumstances that would affect your application, contact our office @ 403-217-8672 or firstname.lastname@example.org
FOR REJOINING MEMBERS:
You will need to fill out the application form above, including the RRSP / Beneficiary forms. Please contact the DGC-Alberta office 403-217-8672 or e-mail email@example.com if you require more information.
*If you would like more information on joining the Directors Guild of Canada in another district other than Alberta please contact:
National Membership Department:
Toll-Free French Language: 1-855-904-1880